What’s on the inside? Age-appropriate science vocabulary and large-print note-taking, hands-on model-building, design projects. Coloured photos, black/white drawings, activity pages, and a full-colour small “storybook” to make. This is a packed-full resource for teaching foundational science to young students and begin them on the road towards independent studies!
Parents/Teachers will love…
- Teaching: No separate teacher’s manuals to keep handy; all instructions and explanations are written simply in one place.
- Prep: Minimal or no teacher prep-work the night before. Use common household items that most children can get themselves and clean up themselves. No expensive kits needed to purchase. We provide you a list of things to gather.
- Flexible: Lessons designed to be taught to any learning style because we aim for a balance of written, oral, and hands-on skills. The method of evaluation is your choice – mark notebooks & projects or design your own quizzes or just keep the completed curriculum in a portfolio box.
- Scheduling: Lessons are undated, self-paced.
- Canadian: PSLC curriculum focuses on content relating to Canada.
- Versatile – While originally designed for individual learning at home, it can be used for public or private classrooms or home school association group learning as well. Student pages are reproducible.
Children will love…
- the large primary-print style for summary notes and copywork.
- the simple diagrams, charting, a few experiments, cut & paste, colouring, drawing, measuring, oral presentations, designing, and model-building…. They will feel like they are accomplishing something of value (because they really are)!
- each day can be a different experience for them because our science is not routine-based/boring. Some days they will copy a note, the next day might be an activity outdoors, and the next day after that, something to build or make…but there is no consistent predictability as to how a lesson might be presented. (This is how I was taught science by my elementary teachers and I loved it! And the variety helps lessons “stick”, even in the middle of winter or in the midst of “spring fever”!) With the PSLC printed series, children have been known to “peek ahead” with “I wonder what I get in science tomorrow!”
- the variety of topics in science class – natural science plus how things work in their world! Children learn LOTS of science-based information while working with items around their home and yard.
- a spiral bound-book (easy to flip to a single page on a desk/table area), printed on toothy/non-glaring cream paper (easier to read and colour/cut). 150 pages.
About computer usage: There are supplementary links added within the book or on our new Pinterest science board but our science program is complete on its own so that families without an internet connection can use it happily. There are a few lessons in this book provided for a basic understanding of what a computer is and does.
About the Bible: PSLC science books uphold the Biblical perspective on “origins”, ethics, and life choices when these topics are taught, however, Bible learning is not “integrated” into most science lessons. Bible-related content is usually printed in the appendix for parents who wish to add it to a few of the lessons.
Problems with this product that you should be aware of: This book was professionally printed (2008) but there were a few blurred drawings and thus, these are be considered “printer’s seconds“.
This is a reproducible all-in-one full-year science resource. Most of the units mentioned on this book’s back cover (see gallery pages above) would take 4-6 weeks to complete if studied in a traditional time-frame of a perhaps half-hour lesson 5 days/week. Of course, some lessons could easily be doubled-up so that science isn’t every day but mentioning it like this gives a bit of a picture how comprehensive these units are. For example, at the time of printing the first edition, you could find a comparable reproducible single unit for the academic content it covers (e.g. Daily and Seasonal Cycles) at an educational store for around $15 – 20.00.
With the completion of the second editions for ALL of our K-3 SCIENCE full-year curriculum, we are now clearing out the remaining few “1st edition printer’s seconds” of our PSLC science. It is now like buying a year of science for the cost of a month of science. While quantities last only.
Some of the sample pages for the second edition will be similar to the first edition. You can click here to compare a few of them if you wish.
While quantities last.