Legal disclaimer: This article is not offered as medical advice. This is a blog based on anecdotal, personal experiences and thoughts. It describes electromagnetic sensitivities (sometimes shortened as EHS, EMF, microwave illness, radiation sickness, rapid aging, etc.) from a personal viewpoint of a Christian who both has a bachelor’s degree in general science (with emphasis of coursework in pre-medical science studies) and who has been one of the 3% (or more) of people who have experienced severity of EMF symptoms.
A “disorder” means that the body somehow is “out of order” and isn’t able to accept what would be good for it. So one should think, “Is the thing that is making my body unhealthy or injured, good or bad?” Then one can determine if it is a disorder, a disease, or something else.
Many people (even many EMF “experts”) view EMF sensitivity as a disorder – that something is “wrong” with people who are this sensitive. They might say something like, “These people have not been able to adapt or evolve to the environment as it changes. Other people have been able to adapt/evolve better.” When you look at statements like that, you can recognize that they believe the human body is the way it is due to evolution, not creation.
While there is an aspect to health and disease in the sense that the human body has more mutations in it compared to many centuries ago, it does not seem logical to assume that our bodies are really supposed to be working OK with unnatural, manmade inventions all of the time. To me, it is perfectly logical for the human body to be affected negatively with human inventions, especially those inventions which find themselves, I understand, in the realm of that which was invented to be used in weapons to harm (microwave technology). (I do recognize that sometimes, the benefits of using these manmade pulsating frequencies out-weigh the dangers of using them. But how these technologies are typically used today, seems to do more damage than good. So in that sense, when an invention is used in a way that harms the environment and human health, then it really is primarily a pollutant, isn’t it? A pollutant might be able to be used for a good purpose somewhere (e.g. in surgery or in telecommunications where there is no other good method able to reach an area). But in general, I believe that the widespread use of wireless technologies is a growing problem.
And so, I’d like to challenge the idea that EMF sensitivity is a disorder.
Here is the analogy I like to use: Decades ago, tobacco smoking was thought of as not being harmful (just like cell phones are nowadays). Yes, it is true that not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer or other diseases from smoking. But lung cancer in the general population does increase when people are exposed to smoking or second-hand smoke. (This fact took many years to gain acceptance in society.) Most people exposed to smoke remained relatively healthy for many years, even some for all of their lives. But there were/are a handful of people who can’t stand smoke at all – they cough, get shortened breath, sputter, etc. – they are “smoke sensitive”. Hindsight now shows that the smoke- sensitive people who just can’t stand being around second-hand smoke, actually don’t have a disorder – they instead have a wonderful warning system left intact in their bodies that warns them that something is dangerous to breathe in. I’d say that it is a blessing to be sensitive to something harmful, even though it would be a disadvantage socially to not be able to go to restaurants with smoking or other social events.
A specialist many years ago talked informally to my parents and I about how sometimes, she believed that environmental triggers can change the DNA so that it looks like a person has a genetic disorder from birth but, in actual fact, that person may have instead acquired that genetic issue when something in the environment injured it so badly during their life.
So, could it be that a mutation inside the human body makes it difficult or impossible to eliminate toxins (e.g. environmental chemicals, metals, wastes from damaged cells) when normally, a body should be able to do that? Yes, that seems to be a possible contributor to some people’s challenges. But my logic tells me that even when a body IS eliminating the toxins (either on its own or with assistance), that the person still going to experience cell damage when exposed to harmful environments (such as when in wifi radiation or breathing in a toxic chemical). So the main root cause of the problem remains with the environment, not the human body. This isn’t a matter of “not adapting” well to the changes in the environment. This is a matter of being an example of the affects of pollution on nature. And it really should make us all consider how our life choices harm or help God’s creation.
Prayer and Miracles –
So how would I pray regarding my health on this particular issue?
- Is it to be able to heal again – like an injury from the damage when it occurs? Yes, definitely. My body has been injured and God is the One Who makes it recover.
- Is it for wisdom to know if or when I should go out into certain environments and how often? Yes for sure.
- Is it for God to protect me fully or to reduce the damage if I need to be in certain situations? Yes. God remains God and that means He is fully capable of shielding me from danger whenever He wants to do so. He is the same God Who kept the 3 Hebrew young men from burning in the fiery furnace. His power never limited and His choice for how and when He does something is always perfect. In the New Testament, we can read how He quickly released Peter from a prison miraculously and how He sustained and encouraged Paul for a long time in prison. In both cases, God had the right plan in mind so that the good news of His offer of free salvation for people could be told. And nothing bad can happen unless He allows it. If He wants me to face harmful radiation without immediate or future effects of it, that is totally up to Him. He is God. That choice is up to Him.
But do I ask God to be healed from EMF sensitivity as if it were something wrong within my body causing it, like a disorder? No. Would it really be “good” to “fix” a body that is already working well in alerting of danger, especially if it was just for “my convenience” and no other purpose? I could go on using technology as much as I please without any concern for others or caring about creation around me like the bees, the trees, the frogs.
Yes, God definitely has the ability to do anything – anything that is good. But what humans might think is “good” is not necessarily “good for us”. He also can make good come out of it and sovereignly protect people whom He leads to work with that technology. I think of the great ways technology, including manmade EMF, can be used to spread the gospel around the world. But in general, for our “convenience”, I do think that some of the technologies is not truly wise for us or for the rest of God’s creation. So these kinds of thoughts are foundational to what I pray for.
Prayer? Yes, God promises to hear the prayers of His people. I need patience, hope, peace, joy, the fruit of the Holy Spirit living in me. I should ask God to help me manage life wisely. And to continue to provide a measure of friendships, social times, and Christian fellowship with other people. I ask Him to protect me when I should be somewhere but there is danger in that zone, just like anyone else who would be facing undesirable situations but know they are be there for the moment. Indeed, HE can protect me from it if and whenever He chooses to do that. (And I know He has chosen to do this sometimes in my life – He is all-powerful!) I need the God Who sees everywhere to lead me in the ways that I should go. And I need to remember to praise Him for all of His goodness and cultivate a heart of thankfulness at looking what I can do, not just my limitations.
“From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” Psalm 61:2 (NKJV)
As socially frustrating as it is to be sensitive with manmade radiation, I truly believe it is not due to a mistake of evolution and is not a problem with my immune system. My body is working very well the way God designed it to be in this issue. The environment however, is not doing very well and is becoming more polluted.
Here is something I wrote a number of years ago based on a portion of Romans 8 (and sung as part of a popular tune which shall remain unnamed due to copyright restrictions; you can make up your own tune for it if you want to sing it; ):
…Now the God of all creation
Sees His works now marred by sin,
Hears the groans of all creation
Waiting for redemption –
Free from death, decay, and sin’s bondage,
When the glory is revealed,
When weak bodies clothed immortal,
Raised in pow’r to be like His….
….Made anew forever to praise Him,
Humbly come before our King,
Hearts are cleansed by His great mercy
Now surrender everything;
Holy God, touched by our weakness,
Has endured the cross, the shame,
Looking to the joy before Him,
To that great triumphant day!
Some day God will restore His creation but until then, our world suffers. The reality is that I’m part of that world now but God does keep all of His promises and some day, He will make everything right and His creation will rejoice!
If I could figure out how to put it on this page, I’d try to find a couple of links for you to listen to the song written by Stuart Hamblen, entitled “Until Then” or the song entitled, “Blessings”, by Laura Story. But if you’re interested, you can search for those yourselves. 🙂
“So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.” 1 Peter 4:19 (NIV)
Post Script (P.S.) –
In cases of poorly-understood medical conditions, it is often the case that it takes a very long time to receive a correct diagnosis. Many people with rare diseases, disorders, and conditions, as well as their supportive family/friends, find this a frustrating process.
In this process, it isn’t always a matter of doctors admitting, “I don’t know the cause behind your suffering but I’ll try my best to keep my eyes open if I learn about anything that looks similar” – indeed, that kind of humble answer is more helpful than telling a person they have something that doesn’t match-up well (or at all) with what they are dealing with. I’m very thankful that my GP years ago (and some others along the way too) was humble, caring, empathetic, intrigued, and supportive.
In my situation, I had two time periods of particular severity/frequency of symptoms. It took 26 specialists/doctors to begin to give correct diagnoses when I was a young adult. It took 20+ years to figure out unanswered causes after symptoms returned severely and were added to as a middle-aged adult. In other words, if you have environmental sensitivities, expect that it can take a long time to get more of a full answer. Keep focused on good priorities in your life, not just your health, and keep following only what is true.
So what are some of the false or misleading diagnosis one could receive with environmental sensitivities? I’ll list two of the more-common kinds:
- “It’s all in your head”, psychosomatic, that symptoms are only stress-induced (from mental/emotional trauma), conversion disorders and the like – typically this comes from people who either don’t want to take the time to figure something out, want an easy answer, or are too proud of their expertise to admit that your case has he/her stumped.
- “It’s Central Sensitivity Syndrome” – Some environmental health clinics in North America fit multi-chemical sensitivities and electromagnetic sensitivities into this category. CSS is a sort of “catch-all” name or model of explanation to include a bunch of chronic symptoms that the professionals diagnosing such haven’t figured out how to control in a traditional or alternative medicine sense (e.g. there is no pill or supplement that can cure it) so they place the blame on the body being out of control and hyperactive when they think “it shouldn’t be”. While it is possibly true that a body could “over-react” in chronic situations and cause unnecessary symptoms, one of the problems with the CSS diagnosis is that it is far too broad.
- It blames the person (rather than the environment) for reacting to something that is harmful and they are sensitive to, simply by denying that a person can and should react to triggers which damage their body.
- It denies the harm in the environment and sees the triggers as either neutral or perhaps even beneficial. (Think of a person who is hypersensitive to cigarette smoke or smog or asbestos or synthetic chemicals, so can’t be in those sorts of environments easily. Think also this same way for people who are hypersensitive to cell radiation. All are triggers are harmful at the exposure levels that hypersensitive people react to them even though not everyone shows symptoms and most can tolerate the damage yet. Now can you see the problem with this sort of diagnosis?)
- So, the treatment for CSS thus is aimed at trying to help the patient accept the stuff that they are sensitive to as “OK” – they do this by trying to “rewire the mind” to “think differently” (“change the mind”) about the harmful stuff using stress-management techniques of what is called “neuroplasticity” (e.g. mindfulness, yoga – see this page on our website for a more-detailed explanation of these).
- Can neuroplasticity work to decrease symptoms? Yes, I think it’s possible BUT, what is the reason why it might work? if the person is dealing with something that is harmful/damaging and they get to the point of believing that such isn’t harmful, they have fallen into a trap of self-delusional thinking. (You can believe something sincerely but you can be sincerely wrong.) Even if some symptoms have “disappeared”, the damage is STILL occurring regardless of how they feel and will either remain as symptoms or will eventually become apparent again. This is because making choices to deceive oneself will NEVER end in something good! God is never behind a deceitful method of healing. But He will allow “righteousness” (e.g. healing) to sometimes occur if the person is willing to be led astray into something that isn’t based on truth (2 Corinthians 11:14-15, Matthew 7:21-23, Luke 21:8).
- There is a different and better model to explain EMF and MCS sensitivities in my opinion. CSS is only one model. EUROPAEM Guidelines (medical and science researchers in Europe) provide a more reasonable explanation.
- How are we to renew our minds in truth? That is a topic for another blog post but for now, Romans 8, 1 John 4, and Romans 12:1-2 are important Scripture references to read.